Thursday, June 08, 2006

Was Blind But Now I See


I went to the eye doctor today. It was the first time in almost two years, so it was the first time I had been there since starting law school. You know how you hear about too much studying making you blind? Well, it apparently is not just a myth.

I've needed glasses since I was about seven years old. I was the dorky kid in second grade wearing the big pink glasses. I even had a pink string holder on the glasses, just in case they might spontaneously fly off of my face for no reason at all and I wouldn't be able to find them (it's memories like this that get me pondering what my mother could possibly have been thinking). Anyway, needless to say that without my contacts, my vision is not so great; but ever since I started law school, I have actually perceived my vision getting worse. At first I thought it was my imagination, since I had not experienced having to squint since elementary school; but then, as more Powerpoint presentations got increasingly difficult to take notes from, I knew I had to make a trip to the good old optometrist. And you know what? He confirmed my fears. My prescription had worsened. Boo. I did, however, get a free trial pair of a new brand of contacts that I wanted to try, so until the ones I ordered come in and the glasses I had made up are finished, I can see clearly!! No more squinting! So the lack of squinting means I can keep the Botox away for a couple of more years. And that's always a good thing.