Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.


Today I went to the post office. I drove all the way to where the post office that has parking is, because the other post office is really annoying to park at. I had about fifty packages that needed mailing (Ebay stuff), and I had to buy stamps. I parked, and lugged all my crap out of the car. I walked all the way to the door. No, I didn't notice that I was the only car in the lot. I tried to open the door. But it was closed. CLOSED. CLOSED.

WHY was the post office closed today?? Apparently President Bush declared today a "National Day of Observance." I see. Interesting. Are the postal workers supposed to have attended Gerald Ford's funeral? Nothing else closed besides the post office and financial markets. I went to the bank this morning and that was open. What is the point of closing the post offices?? Why didn't I get any mail today?? Now, don't get me wrong - I love me some Gerald Ford, and was sad to hear of his passing, although I was surprised that the old boy hadn't kicked earlier; but while I watched a little of the funereal proceedings on TV this morning, I would have conducted my "observance" much more happily and effectively had I been able to mail my packages and buy my stamps. After all, isn't it an American thing to do to conduct US POSTAL SERVICE business?? Would Ford have wanted mail delivery to cease merely because he was heading six feet under?? I think not. And really, let's look at the irony here - President Bush orders the postal service be suspended today in observance of Ford's passing. Last week, U.S. deaths in Iraq reached 3,000. That's more people than were killed in 9/11. I don't see Bush holding National Observance days for all those Americans who have given their lives for this pointless and seemingly endless war. I'm not saying that Ford doesn't deserve to be memorialized. I'm saying that I don't think we need to shut post offices when he dies, while our men and women are dying every single day over there for NOTHING, and I don't see Bush making National Days of Observance for that. In fact, he just sends more Americans out there. Bush has claimed that Americans will not have died in vain out there...well, I'm still waiting to see what the point was.