Sunday, September 24, 2006

LawNut v. Evil Mother-In-Law


This weekend I had the good fortune of having to spend some quality time with Evil Mother in Law. Evil Mother in Law is the bane of my existence. Most of the time, I can forget that she is even there; but then it's times like this weekend, where I am forced to put on the "I'm so happy to see you" smile and pretend to be absolutely fascinated by her boring stories that I have heard a million times, that I am reminded of just how much I dislike this woman.

Evil Mother in Law is just about as bad as they come. She absolutely hates me, and doesn't even try to hide her complete and utter loathing of me. The funny thing is, I don't even know why she hates me with such fervor. I mean, ok so I'm overly opinionated (what lawyer-to-be isn't??), and I'm not afraid to voice that opinion; but is that a reason to hate your daughter-in-law and shun her and your son completely out of your life? I don't think that it is. Because what it all comes down to is that your son is happy, and Hubby and I are happy; but Evil Mother in Law doesn't see this. All she can see are my flaws, and she doesn't even bother to try to look for the good things that are there.

I know that you can't make everyone happy, and that not everyone will always like you; and I've been around long enough to know that not everyone likes opinionated people; but I do think that regardless of how Evil Mother in Law truly feels about me, that she should make more of a concerted effort to not just pretend to like me, but maybe try to look past her pre-conceived notions and realize that I'm not as bad as she thinks I am, and that no matter what, clearly Hubby saw something in me that was good - and she should try to see that too.

Well, hopefully there won't have to be any more Evil Mother in Law encounters until at least Christmas...