Wednesday, November 15, 2006

LawNut v. Pup, The Garbage Can, et al.


Pup is just something else. He is always finding something new to do that will irritate the crap out of me. His latest discovery? The garbage can. Mind you, Pup has been tall enough to stick his head in the trash can for quite some time. For whatever reason, it has only been in the last week that he figured out that he can tip the lid off of the can with his head and it's snacktime. He'll go through all the garbage in there, picking out tidbits that he finds interesting - a candy wrapper, used saran wrap, you name it. This might be very fun and exciting for Pup, but for me? Not so much. Once I throw out last night's leftover chicken, I really don't want to see it again on the kitchen floor.

So after an entire weekend of screaming, "PUP!! Get OUT of the garbage!!!"I couldn't take it anymore. Today on my way home from school, I went to Linens n Things to pick out a new garbage can. Now, I what I had in mind when I went into the store was the type of garbage can that has a step that opens it. This, I figure, is something that Pup will not be able to decipher, and even if he one day can (although I really don't think he's that smart), it will definitely take him a long time. What I was not prepared for, though, was how expensive these cans were! I ended up having to spend over $60 on a stupid garbage can - a GARBAGE CAN. GARBAGE goes in it - why is it so expensive??!??!!

I am usually more of a price-comparison shopper, but I didn't have any more time to go anywhere else, and I didn't feel like enduring another evening of telling Pup to get his head out of the trash. So I plunked down my Amex, and headed home with my can.

I think it was well-worth it, though. Just to see Pup's face when I got home, took the new can out of the box, and put the garbage bag in it - and then just waited. I waited for him to stroll over, and try to stick his head in it - and he couldn't get it open!!!!! And then the glance at me, as if to say, "Well...what happened?? Why can't I get a snack out of here??"

Bwahahahahahahaha! My evil plan worked!!