Saturday, April 01, 2006

They're All Gonna Laugh At You


The last prom I went to was nearly ten years ago...until this weekend. It was time for my school's "prom." You know, that yearly event at the law school where everyone decides to bust out their Sunday best, get drunk and make fools of themselves in front of the people that they will have to see again on Monday and who probably will not forget the fact that they were dancing on chairs in an inebriated stupor.

I'll admit, I was excited to get dressed up for once, since my daily uniform pretty much consists of jeans and sneakers. When I got to the place, though, I couldn't believe that more than a few girls had actually got their hair done. And I mean DONE. As in Cinderella-this-is-my-wedding-day hairdos. Also, it was rather amusing how people that I don't talk to in school and likewise don't talk to me were all of a sudden my long-lost kindergarten pals with the "OhmyGod you look SO pretty, I LOVE your dress!" and the airkisses.

As the night progressed and the alcohol continued to flow, the antics became more amusing. People were literally grinding on what became a very sweaty dance floor. It was great to try to guess who would be shacking up for the night and painfully regretting it in the morning. My underwear-baring classmate was certainly there, thankfully with his pants ON this time, although H. told me that she also spotted him on a separate day again stripping.

All in all, an entertaining evening, providing some much needed down time from the nightmarish piles of work and stress that is law school, and it was nice how all the competition seemed to go out the window as all students were on even ground for one night.