Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Pets are Family

Anyone who reads this blog knows that Pup is my very best friend - I could not have asked for a better pet, and Hubby and I absolutely adore him. Before we got Pup, we gave getting a dog a lot of serious thought, and we decided, together, that this would be a good choice for us. Not everyone gives getting a puppy or a kitten as much thought. Some people don't realize, or care, that animals have feelings just like people do. Every animal deserves a loving, happy home. I advocate whenever I can about pets' rights - and yes, pets do have rights for those of you that think "that's just a dog," or "that's just a cat" - when I came across this slideshow presentation I just started crying; and I wanted to post it not to depress everyone who chooses to look at it (because it's really just heartbreaking), but because I want to stress the importance of giving your pet the consideration and respect he deserves - pets aren't toys that you can just give back when you're bored, or if it's "too hard" to train him - if you get a puppy or a kitten, know that you're making a committment for its entire life! Keep your pet safe in an enclosed area and with an ID tag - you wouldn't leave your child roaming the street alone, don't let your pet do it, either! Don't breed your pet just for the sake of making some extra cash - it's not fair to those puppies and kittens who deserve a chance!

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now.