Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Snakes on a Plane? How About Drunks on a Train??


On my way home from class this afternoon I chose a seat next to an older gentleman that I thought looked harmless enough. The second I sat down, I realized that he smelled as if he had been drinking since 9am. Not only that, but when I glanced down, I noticed that he was holding a beer can in a paper bag and was drinking! On the train! While he was already clearly drunk! He proceeded to try to strike up conversation with me, but honestly, I had no idea what he was saying, it was so slurred. I just smiled and nodded and pretended that my law textbook was the most fascinating thing I had ever seen.

I kind of felt sorry for him, though. I felt sorry for him that he felt the need to get drunk in the middle of the day, and couldn't even move away from alcohol for the duration of that short train ride. I felt sorry for him because he actually seemed rather pleasant, besides the fact that he was three sheets to the wind and stunk to the high heavens.

He reminded me of Leaving Las Vegas, which I just recently saw for the first time, and thought it was the most depressing movie I have ever seen. I hope that this man's fate isn't as grim; and if it in fact is, I really hope I don't run into him on the train again!