Monday, September 11, 2006

Has It Really Been Five Years?


It doesn't seem like it was that long ago, but at the same time, it feels like it was a lifetime ago. A part of me doesn't want to hear about September 11th anymore; but another part of me doesn't want to stop watching the news coverage where the names were recited. It's almost as if I don't know what to feel about the day. I guess what got me the most today was the weather - a perfect day weather-wise, just like that day had been. An ordinary day in every respect, just like that day had started out.

So in honor of the day, I present to you, as part of the 2,996 Project (thanks to Wendy for posting this), 9/11 victim Terence Gazzani - 24 year old Cantor Fitzgerald employee, apparently had recently graduated college and this was his first job. I think the reason that this man strikes me is that his life was so similar to mine at that time - recent college grad, first job, just starting out; and while I have had the privilege of living these last five years, that privilege was robbed from him in the most unfair way. He was murdered. And so today, even though I don't want to, I thought about this man whom I was randomly assigned to, and pass him along on this post for others to think about too.

Interviews are winding down, so hopefully I will have more time to post than I have in the last two weeks.