Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What do you mean he don't eat no meat?


I think that I am in the midst of making a major life decision. I think...I may have decided...to become a vegetarian.

Anyone who reads this blog knows I am a pretty big animal-lover and animal-advocate. As a matter of fact, my dream job would be to do legal work for animal rights groups; but, alas, I need money first, so that dream will have to be put on the back burner for a while. Lately, however, I have been starting to think that I am a hypocrite - here I am, talking about how animals should no longer be considered property, how we need to be conscious of animals being treated cruelly, but I am enjoying a big juicy burger as much as the next person. What about that cow that gave its life so that meat could end up on my plate? Not just gave its life, but gave its life in a heart-wrenching manner. Oftentimes inhumanely. With that in mind, I think that I must, for the sake of my own beliefs, try to give up meat completely.

For sure, this will not be easy. In fact, several helpful vegetarian geared websites have encouraged a more of a "weaning off" approach to becoming a vegetarian, such as starting with eliminating meat just three days of the week for two weeks, then moving up to five days for two weeks, and so forth. However, I think that my love and respect for animals deserves a fair shot. So here I am...trying to embrace the veggies and fruits, legumes, and carbs - wish me luck!

Anyone taking over/under bets??