Monday, March 13, 2006

How You Doin'?


It's finally back!!! After 20 months of painful waiting, The Sopranos has returned and it's shaping up to be an AWESOME season! I'll admit, initially a lot of the reason I watched was to catch glimpses of places in "beautiful" North Jersey, but over the past few years, it has really sucked me in.

So highlights from last night - Meadow looks like she's lost some weight. I couldn't help but notice that during the opening credits, she was listed as Jaime Lynn Sigler again, not her married name, Jaime Lynn DiScala. I'm wondering if she's already divorced. I guess by Hollywood standards she would have been celebrating her silver anniversary by the time they filed for divorce. Anyway, she was only present for two scenes - one where she's performing a softcore striptease for her fiance Finn, which I think was just placed into the episode to show off her newly-thin body. I wonder if she's back to her anorexic ways. The next scene was literally a walk-on and walk-off where Tony asks her about some intership that he helped set up for her. Must be nice to have a mob-boss dad set up legal interships for you. I'm stuck pounding the pavement looking for one of those on my own for the summer.

And speaking of weight loss, how about Vito?? I know he was on Celebrity Fit Club but I'm astounded at how much thinner he looks. I'm glad for him, because last season of Sopranos the man looked like he was going to collapse at any moment.

Uncle Junior shooting Tony might very well have been one of the greatest Soprano scenes ever. I mean, here is the definition of senility, and Tony's all "I don't want to put him in a nursing home." Well Tony, do you think you might reconsider now that you've got a bullet in your gut??

Meanwhile, it looks like the FBI has everyone under their thumb - poor Carmine kicks the bucket in the agent's car!! They are relentless - next they drill Eugene who clearly picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue, which drives him to go home and hang himself. And props to HBO for so graphically depicting the suicide scene - I like the involuntary urination after he died. It was...authentic.

Of note, HBO did NOT give us any preview treats after the episode - I guess they want us to hang on for next week to see if Tony survives Uncle Jun's shooting...got to give the old guy some credit, he's still a pretty good shot - until next week!