Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I'm Back!


Hello again!!! I have returned!! Vacation was super nice and so relaxing. We had a great time. It's so nice to get away, but I have to say, it is nice to come home. The whole vacation I was convinced that I had left the front door unlocked! Also, I really missed Pup. A lot. More than I thought I was going to miss him! We had to kennel him, and it really broke my heart to do so, even though the place he was staying at was really nice. When we picked him up on Sunday, he was absolutely gleeful (as was I)! It was nice to be home and have Pup home too! :-)
Meanwhile, it has been absolutely stifling since I got back. I really tried to not fire up the central air there for a few days. I gave it my best and suffered in the heat of the house; but today I could not take it anymore. At 83 degrees, I turned it on, and now it's lovely in here. Only I am scared for my electric bill, considering it's still only May.
And speaking of money, I still have not started my summer job. I think I might start next week. The Firm is pretty flexible as to my hours, which is nice. I do start my summer classes tomorrow though - grr! I feel like I just finished studying - and can I just mention that I have only gotten ONE grade back so far??!! ONE. It has been a whole 18 days since my last final - I would think that maybe I could get TWO grades here...but just ONE? It's pure torture.

On another note, Hubby and I saw a few movies since I blogged last, so I'll give a mini little rundown of each in case anyone is interested in seeing these:
1. The Da Vinci Code - I really liked it. I liked it so much, in fact, that I bought the book while on vaca and started reading it poolside. I have to say, so far the movie was very true to the book, only the book goes into more detail (which was to be expected, of course). I really enjoyed the movie in that it was along the lines of National Treasure, and I like those types of movies. However, I really cannot see what all the Catholic hubbub is about. This is a fictional story, people. Is it conceivably plausible? Sure. But it's still just a STORY created by a novelist. It is meant to entertain, and entertaining it is. I give it THREE pounding gavels.

2. X-Men: The Last Stand - If you liked the other two X-men movies, I think you will like this one too. It ties up a lot of loose ends but also leaves the faint possibility that we might see the X-Men again. Obviously not Oscar material, but it's a fun, mindless sort of adventure flick. My rating: 2 3/4 pounding gavels.

3. Match Point - Here is one that I was disappointed in myself for not seeing it earlier, considering that I am such a Woody Allen fan. I thought the movie was somewhat of a departure from what I expected from Allen, but I guess that's what pure genius is all about anyway - constant reinvention. The plot is great, the actors are wonderful, and the end is just absolutely gripping. A couple of days later, and I am STILL thinking about this movie. That's the sign of a great one. My rating - FOUR pounding gavels.

4. Transamerica - last but certainly not least. I loved this movie. It made me laugh and cry in a span of less than two hours. At times it was absolutely hysterical, but overall, I thought it was so incredibly sad. The very thought of not feeling whole in my own body is so incredibly depressing, something no one should be subjected to, and that is what this movie addresses. In the end, it's not about being gay, but about people and seeing what is beneath our exteriors. My rating - 3 1/2 pounding gavels.

Well, that's about it for now - Hubby and I just bought a new grill this weekend (woo hoo!!!) so of course I've been in a cooking frenzy (which, for anyone who knows me, this is VERY atypical of me). But the upside is that we get to eat cheeseburgers every night! Who cares if I'll be a moose by August??!! Not me!!